I specialise in providing evidence based psychological services including cognitive behavioural therapy, motivational interviewing, narrative therapy, relaxation techniques, skills training and play therapy.
I specialise in working with:-
- Grief and loss
- Couples/relationship Therapy
- Anxiety and depression
- Parent-child relationship
- Reactions to trauma
- Parenting concerns [i.e. Behaviour Problems]
- Family adjustment and change
- Adjustment to diagnosis/condition/disability
- School disengagement
- Consultative services
- 1-2-3 MAGIC and Emotional Coaching Parenting Program
What is Counselling?
Counselling is a form of psychological or talking therapy that offers people chance to change how they feel, maybe view things differently and ultimately gain a sense of overall wellbeing.
With children play therapy maybe used as play is the natural way that children understand their world, express thoughts and feelings, develop skills and learn self mastery. Therefore, play therapy is a medium for children to express their feelings, explore relationships, and tell about experiences and their wishes. Unlike adults, children often have difficult trying to say in words what they are feeling or how experiences have affected them. With the use of toys and art materials, children can show their inner feelings through what they choose and how they play.
What is 1-2-3 Magic and Emotional Coaching?
This program can be taught in individual counselling sessions or within the group environment.
The 1-2-3 Magic and Emotional Coaching Parenting Program is based on two underlying perspectives on parenting: first, children can be taught to respond more flexibly when they are frustrated or upset. Second, parent/s can be taught easy-to-use skills they can use at particular parenting moments. The program aims to teach flexible, effective and well researched ways to better manage behaviour in children aged 3 to 12. It is a skills development based program that focuses on supporting parents in the management of difficult behaviour in children, encourage positive behaviour and strengthen relationships.
What about privacy and confidentiality?
I understand that clients are often concerned about their privacy and confidentially.
All personal information gathered during the provisions of the psychological service will remain confidential and secure except where:
- It is subpoenaed by a court, or
- Failure to disclose the information would place you or another person at serious or imminent risk; or
- Your prior approval has been obtained to:
- Provide a written report to another professional or agency [e.g. GP]; or
- Discuss the material with another person [e.g. parents, employer]; or
- If discolsure is otherwise required or authorised by law.
At the initial session I will discuss with you:
- How counselling works and answer your questions
- Help set goals that you would like to achieve
- Issues of confidentiality
- Explain the Medicare process and how Medicare rebates can help reduce your expenses.